Sunday, June 6, 2010

Hetch Hetchy



The third day it was pouring rain. After falling out of the tent onto my nose (which made me look like Lee beat me up) we decided to stay closer to the campground and visit Hetch Hetchy. I had never heard of this place, but after reading about it in the guide book I decided I wanted to go. Short version:

There were actually two Yosemite valleys. They were called the twin valleys, and both had waterfalls, a river running through it, wildlife, and massive granite walls. After the 1906 massive earthquake in San Francisco, many fires to broke out. These fires destroyed a lot of the city. After it was all over, San Francisco blamed lack of water resources for not being able to control the fires. They lobbied Congress to dam Hetch Hetchy for their water use. It took several years, with environmentalists screaming, but they won. The second valley was dammed, and we now have Hetch Hetchy reservoir. The water is so pure it does not have to be filtered. No human contact allowed! So this valley is for the enjoyment of San Francisco.


No comments: